• Your task is to upgrade the current AX version to AX2009 in Production environment.
• The existing system contains lots of customizations on different layers, so a functional upgrade is required.
Below are the steps that you will perform:
1. Take the backup of AX4.0 database.
2. Take the backup the application files (*.aod, *.ahd, *.ald, *.add, *.khd) from Drive:\Dynamics AX 4.0\Application\Appl folder for layers BUS, VAR, CUS, USR and respective patch layers. Please make sure to copy the files only for the respective configuration. If using standard configuration, the path should be Drive:\Dynamics AX 4.0\Application\Appl\Standard. We are doing this because of customizations exist in these layers and we need to take them over to AX2009.
3. Also backup the application files (*.aod, *.ahd, *.ald, *.add, *.khd) from Drive:\Dynamics AX 4.0\Application\Appl folder for layers SYS, GLS. Please make sure to copy the files only for the respective configuration. If using standard configuration, the path should be Drive:\Dynamics AX 4.0\Application\Appl\Standard. The whole idea is to compare the previous application code with the new one while upgrading.
4. Next step is to run AX2009 setup from available media.
5. During installation when asked, select the existing AX4.0 database.
6. After the installation is completed, install AX2009 SP1 if required.
7. Do not start AX2009 AOS instance already created.
8. Now put the application files you took backup in step#2 to Drive:\Microsoft Dynamics AX\50\Application\Appl\. If found, delete the axapd.aoi file from the “Appl” folder. The update index file will get created once we will start the AOS in later step.
9. Create a folder named “Old” in AX2009 application folder (for example Drive:\Microsoft Dynamics AX\50\Application\Appl\
10. Start the AOS for AX2009.
11. Start AX2009 client. The Upgrade checklist will get displayed. Complete the steps to continue upgrading. If you stuck in any issue, refer to AXUpgradeGuide.pdf file from partner source.
My next post will point out some of the lessons learned while upgrading.